Having to recently setup EdgeSight for a customer, I noticed that Citrix’s documentation for setting up Reporting Services for EdgeSight using SQL 2008 R2 is a bit lacking.
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX111313 is good, as it has all the steps required but is dated as its for SQL 2005 so the screenshots are different.
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX130967 is for SQL 2008 R2 but it is missing setting up the user within Reporting Services and giving the correct permissions as in the article is aimed at installing Reporting Services on the same box as EdgeSight. Not really an enterprise solution.
So below are the steps to get Reporting Services happily working with EdgeSight. Please note that this does not include setting up Reporting Services in the first place. I’m not a DBA you know! J
1. From a web browser, navigate to your Report Services instance, usually http://SQLserverName/ReportServer.
2. Click on Site Settings.
3. In the left hand pane, click Security and then New Role Assignment.
4. For Group or user name enter an Active Directory user and select System Administrator as the role. Click OK.
5. You will now see the new role.
6. Click Home to return to the main screen and then click Folder Settings.
7. Click New Role Assignment.
8. For Group or user name enter an Active Directory user and select all role options. Click OK.
9. You will now see the new role.
10. Launch the EdgeSight console and login. At the Reporting Services screen, enter the Report Server URL: e.g. http://SQLServerName/ReportServer. Enter the username and password. Click Save Changes.
11. Reporting Services for Citrix EdgeSight will now be configured.
12. Once Reporting Services is configured, click Close.
13. Under the Reporting Services window, click on the Operations tab. Select Load Reports and Create Schedules. Click Execute.
14. Reporting Services configuration will now run.
15. Once complete, click Close.
And there you have it. Simple steps to get Reporting Services 2008 R2 configured with Citrix EdgeSight 5.4.
Hope you find it useful and keep looking out for new posts!